Pine Beach Chapel
501 Hillside Ave. (Corner of Hillside & Huntington Aves.)
Pine Beach, N. J. 08741
For information please contact:
Barry Wieck, President of the Church Board: 732-341-6565
Barbara McDowell, President of the Stewards Board/Church Sec.: 732-349-5172
History (Condensed from “Pine Beach Yesterdays” by
Stanley A. Heatley)
For nearly a century, the Chapel has been home to several different
religious beliefs, even a school house for a period of time, So it would come as no surprise
that today's Chapel is Non-Denominational and the spiritual home to many who come
Established on October 1, 1910 The Pine Beach Chapel was the
result of effort put forth by Reverend August Pohlman, then pastor of the
Temple Lutheran Church in Philadelphia. Pohlman had built the first summer
home in Pine Beach in 1909 and was among the first to feel the need for a
house of worship in the new resort. Dr. Pohlman became the first pastor.
In the beginning, the Chapel was a “summer church” for “summer people”
used by both Protestants and Catholics, and it was not until 1932 that it
was put to year round use with a local resident pastor. All of the early
pastors served without pay, and all of the trustees were summer people.
This Non-Denominational character of the church continues until today.
Our local community is proud of this Chapel's great history and pastoral
support to our local residents.
Return to Main Page